|Loranger House, Frenchtown, MI)|
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
«The Edward Loranger House, built in 1825, is a one-and-one-half-story, red brick farmhouse displaying characteristics of early French-Canadian architecture. The house is rectangular in plan and originally had only two rooms plus an attic. The house is built on a stone foundation and topped with a gable roof covered with standing seam sheet metal with the ridge running parallel to the front of the house. The house is devoid of any exterior ornamentation. The window openings contain stone lintels and sills. Fixed shutters have been added at the door and windows on the front elevation. The cornice line is simple with cornice returns on the gable ends. The house has three single stack chimneys. A brick, shed-roofed addition was built along the rear wall of the house in 1861. Gabled dormers were added to the front of the roof in 1941. The property includes five outbuildings. A small brick building located fifteen feet from the back of the house was originally a smokehouse. The other outbuildings, a barn, a playhouse, and two storage buildings, are frame and painted white. Two other buildings, once associated with the site, a gristmill built c. 1832 and a sawmill from a later date, were moved to Henry Ford's Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan, where they have been restored».